Thursday, June 25, 2015

10-5-3 The NBA Draft 2015

I considered myself an average high school basketball player. This showed in my playing time and will lead to a new segment I'll write called 10-5-3. Ten for the amount of chest bumps I dished out per game, five for the minutes I played per game, and three for my one guranteed swish from downtown. There will be three different lists on a certain topic in sports, this week's is the NBA Draft. Ten players that I love in the draft, five sleepers, and three that I see as boom-or-bust are today's categories. Karl Anthony-Towns, Jahlil Okafor, and D'Angelo Russell (I have already mentioned my love for Russell's game here) will be excluded from the article as I believe all three are givens and will have good careers in the association. Understand that I do not expect all of these players will be All-Stars, but they will be, in my opinion, five to ten year pros in the league. I expect them to be difference makers when it comes to making the playoffs, winning a game 7, or winning the Finals.

Ten Players that I Love

1. Justise Winslow, Duke, Small Forward, 6-6 225
Many people question if Winslow shoots the ball well enough to be an elite wing in the NBA, but shooting is a skill that can develop if the work is put in and Winslow will definitely work to improve his shooting. He will be an All-NBA caliber defender, play his tail off night in and night out, and he will win his team the games they have no business being in. Winslow will play in the league for 10+ years and should consistently be on a playoff team.



2. Sam Dekker, Wisconsin, Small Forward, 6-9 220
I love this kid and I believe he will be let loose in the NBA. Dekker is extremely athletic and the up and down tempo of the league will play right into his skill set. The Wisconsin product will contribute from day 1 in the NBA and could really be a force if he falls to a team who barely made the playoffs last year. He will have to become a more consistent shooter and tighten his handles to become a real threat on offense, but the kid is a winner and will play in this league for a while.

3. Stanley Johnson, Arizona, Small Forward, 6-7, 245
The Arizona product already has an NBA body and will contribute immediately. He plays like a bull in a China shop, but he is not as athletic as he appears which will be a big adjustment for Johnson in the NBA. Shooting will never be Johnson's strongest skill but he will keep defenders honest in due time. Whatever team picks Johnson will be getting a great defender who will do whatever it takes to win.

4. Trey Lyles, Kentucky, Power Forward, 6-10, 235
I expect Trey Lyles to be the best player from Kentucky in this year's draft. Not saying he is better than Karl-Anthony Towns but I think Towns' greatness could get lost in the shuffle of Minnesota's young core. Back to Lyles, he doesn't look like he has fun playing basketball but he is really good at it. Lyles is a stretch four who will be a pick and pop threat for years to come and will be a nightmare matchup down the road. Defensively there is some concern, but I believe his pros on offense far outweigh his cons on defense.

5. Tyus Jones, Duke, Point Guard, 6-1, 190
Pure point guards will always be a favorite of mine and Jones is the epitome of just that. If Tyus Jones didn't play for Duke, I would have celebrated Johnathan's 21st birthday running onto the Donald L. Tucker Civic Center court, instead I watched Tyus light up my 'Noles on our home court. Experts will tell you, "he's undersized, can't play defense, and isn't athletic enough to play in the league", but I am here to tell you that is all crap. Jones lives for the big moment and is not afraid to take and make the big shot. He is smart and will figure out how to contribute. Tyus will be heading to a playoff contender (Possibly the Rockets or Mavs), and will consistently make the right play. The Duke product will win at least one championship during his career and continue to prove the haters wrong.


6. Kelly Oubre, Kansas, Small Forward, 6-7, 203

"Limitless potential" is what I have to say about Oubre. A true small forward at 6-7 and possessing a 7-2 wingspan, Oubre should develop into a lockdown defender. His lack of defensive effort was a main reason he lacked playing time early on last season, but Bill Self's tough love approach will pay dividends in a long NBA career. The former Jayhawk has the potential to be a very good 3 and D wing in this league. He will have to solidify his jump shot and get a gym membership, but he has the potential to be a real difference maker in the NBA.

7. Jerian Grant, Notre Dame, Combo Guard, 6-5, 198
I believe D'Angelo Russell will be the Rookie of the Year, but if anyone were to challenge him, it would Mr. Grant. The former Irish star is exceptional in the pick and roll and will translate to the next level with ease. Many projections have him going to the Mavericks and that would just be nasty, especially if they can land LaMarcus Aldridge and/or DeAndre Jordan. He has the ability to keep defenders honest from deep, as well as attack the rim. He is a player to definitely keep an eye on next year and could really help his team make/win a playoff series.

8. Rashad Vaughn, UNLV, Shooting Guard, 6-5 199
I cannot put into words how badly I want the Sixers to either somehow sneak in to the late first round for Vaughn or by the grace of God have him slip to them at pick number 35. I will trust in the interesting ways of Hinkie, but Vaughn is the complete package at the shooting guard position. He can stroke it from deep and has great size for the position. He will have to give a more consistent effort on the defensive end and improve his ball handling, but I believe the former Runnin' Rebel will be a special player. Fingers crossed that Russell and Vaughn are the backcourt of the future for my 76ers.


9. Justin Anderson, Virginia, Small Forward, 6-6 231
If Justin Anderson doesn't get hurt, Virginia makes it to the sweet sixteen and more than likely the Final Four. Anderson was having an amazing season until he was injured and never really regained his form. This guy will play in the league 10+ years as a prototypical 3 and D wing. He will have to prove that his stellar 3 point shooting wasn't a fluke this year, while also working on his handle so he can create his own shot. Also Anderson is a lefty, so yeah, that makes him legit.

10. Terry Rozier, Louisville, Point Guard, 6-2 190
Rozier is a blur in the open court and will be an off the bench spark plug for many years in the league. He will enter the league as one of the fastest guards in the NBA and will create many opportunities for himself and his teammates and he will definitely provide entertainment for whatever fan base he goes to. I believe he can be a point guard at the next level as the new age point guard's job is to score and Rozier can definitely do that. The former Cardinal will immediately help a playoff contender's second unit and could make a serious difference in a few playoff games next year.

Five Sleepers

1. Olivier Hanlan, Boston College, Point Guard, 6-4 186
If my 76ers can't get Rashad Vaughn then they should take Olivier Hanlan and they will look back at this pick and see it as an absolute steal. I watched the Boston College product torch FSU and the ACC for three years and he was the only viable option on his team and he still put up impressive numbers. Hanlan can flat out score from all three levels on the court, especially from deep with a smooth jumper. He will have to improve his ball handling and his floor general abilities, but Hanlan will be surrounded with talent for the first time in a while and I see him outperforming everyone's expectations.

2. Christian Wood, UNLV, Power Forward, 6-11 216
Potential. Potential. Potential. That's what the NBA is all about and if Wood falls to the second round, he could be a great pick for a team. The UNLV product was a guard growing up and then hit a huge growth spurt in high school. This could be considered a blessing or a curse, depending on your opinion, as he has guard skills in a big man's frame but almost refuses to dominate in the post. Wood has potential to be a real special stretch four, but he will have to hit the weight room and bring a more consistent effort to the game. But this kid has a lot of potential and could end up being an absolute steal.


3. Jarell Martin, LSU, Power Forward, 6-9 239
The former Tiger was a frustrating college player because he could not decide if he wanted to be a 3 or a 4. If he decides to play as a stretch four and be a mismatch on the offensive end of the court, he could be a very good role player for years to come. Martin needs to refine his overall game and stay away from the 3 point shot until he develops a consistent shot. The guy is a freak athlete and is made to play up and down the court, and if he finds the right system he could be making top 10 plays on a nightly basis.

4. Jordan Mickey, LSU, Power Forward, 6-8 238
Rebounding and the ability to block shots are two skills that translate from college basketball to the pros, and Jordan Mickey does both of these very well. To me, Mickey is very similar to Tristan Thompson with how hard he plays, getting rebounds, and blocking shots. The former Tiger has a better touch around the rim than Thompson, but will never be an offensive threat. Mickey is a guy who will change the momentum of games for years to come with just his effort.

5. Tyler Harvey, Eastern Washington, Shooting Guard, 6-4 181
Shooting is the coolest skill to have in the NBA nowadays and Harvey can really shoot it, as well as score. Harvey is a lefty - you all know how I feel about lefties - who will be able to score off the bench for many years in the league. His shot is not normal, but it consistently goes in. He will have to improve his overall game and really work to improve in all facets of his game to survive in the NBA.

Three Hit or Miss
1. Kristaps Porzingis, Somewhere in Europe, Forward, 6-11 209
I am not a fan of European players that are drafted in the lottery. In my lifetime, I have only seen one be drafted and succeed and that was Yao Ming. Yeah, I know he's 7-1 and can shoot threes and throw down nasty dunks but what else does he do? Can he make a post move? Does he eat real food? This guy is totally boom or bust, in my opinion, if he can do what everyone thinks he can do he will be the best player from this draft. I am not buying it, just another overrated European player to me. I do like his nickname, Zinger just so you all don't think I completely hate him.


2. Emmanuel Mudiay, China but should've been SMU, Point Guard, 6-5 190
I go back and forth every day on Mudiay. I watched him play in the Nike Hoop Summit last year but there is only so much you can take away from those events. Mudiay is the new build point guard - he is a rare blend of size, speed, and athleticism. That is extremely intriguing to me, but from what I have seen he struggles to shoot the ball. Granted, shooting is a skill that can improve with time in the gym, but I am just nervous to buy his stock. I do not like that he is going to a poor team and I feel like that is what scares me the most.


3. Myles Turner, Texas, Center, 7-0 239
Turner runs like a baby deer for the first time, kind of like Johnathan. Their skill sets differs slightly, but between the two I'd have to say Turner has more potential. Turner could be a rare big man who could protect the rim all while spreading the floor. He would be the dream center for this new age NBA, but he is a long way from a finished product. I am not a fan because I think he is too frail and just think he will get pushed around in the league. I expect he will only be around a couple of years. If Turner, goes to a situation where he can develop and is not rushed, he could be a very special player. The former Longhorn is a very intriguing player but I just don't see him lasting in the League.

I am a huge fan of this draft class. I think there are potentially a few superstars, as well as and abundance of key role players. If you're wondering where players like Devin Booker, Frank Kaminsky, or Cameron Payne are, it is not because I believe they will bust, but more so their potential depends on the situation in which they are drafted. I am super excited for the this draft, especially with a chance for some blockbuster trades. JK and I will be traveling down to Miami for a friend's wedding, but will be checking Twitter consistently to see how my Sixers are using their six draft picks. Be on the lookout for a draft recap on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment