Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Celtics Draft Review

Opposite of Sean's Sixers, the Celtics are a guard heavy team. I wasn't very happy with the overall outcome of the draft, initially, because we were unable to bring in a potential super-star, but the more I learn about the incoming players, the more excited I get.

Jahlil Okafor could have been an excellent addition to this Celtics team. He and Jared Sullinger would have made for an extremely fun duo down low. However, the Sixers would not budge on their top pick, forcing us to stay where we were with the 16th spot. I believe in Brad Stevens and think he is one of the best coaches in the league in just his second season, let's take a look his new players.

Point Guard Terry Rozier (6-1, 190, Louisville, 16th pick)
I love this guy. I got to watch him torch my 'Noles from court-side seats. I noticed how professional and smooth he was as a person and a player. Brad Stevens believes he is an "elite-level toughness, athleticism and drive" which is a great addition to any team. He had an excellent career at Louisville, playing on the biggest stages that college basketball had to offer scoring, 17 points per game and playing a majority of the season (35 min/game). Though Rozier looks kind of slow, he is deliberate in his movements, has an excellent motor, and has the ability to take over a game. I told Sean a few months ago that he was probably my favorite player in the draft, so, despite him being picked a little too early for my taste, I am excited that he is a Celtic.


Shooting Guard, RJ Hunter (6-5, 185, Georgia State, 28th pick)
Hunter is extremely intriguing to me. It's bold, but his shooting and small-school past remind me a lot of, um, Steph Curry. There I said it. RJ has the tools in my opinion to take over games in the way Steph does, but Curry has an uncanny drive to become a better player every day that I don't see in Hunter. That being said, if he doesn't win the MVP by his 6th year, he isn't a bust. He averaged 20 PPG including four 30-point games. He reminds me a lot of me as a player because he is long, athletic, a great shooter, he's clutch, he's an amazing person, handsome - I digress. He also gives inconsistent effort (like me) and that can be a problem in the long run. I can envision Hunter being an excellent player in this league with his scoring abilities and eventually some defense thanks to length and athleticism. 

Power Forward Jordan Mickey (6-7, 238, LSU, 33rd pick)
Mickey is someone I, admittedly, did not know existed despite him being one of Sean's sleepers. LOL. But I have researched him and I love him. Mickey has a ridiculous wingspan (7'3") and exceptional athleticism to make up for his lack of size. Mickey is a great defender and has a nice mid-ranged jump shot. In college he averaged 15 PPG, 10 RPG, and 4 BPG at LSU. He is an extremely quick jumper, often posterizing people in his way, and runs the floor very well for a big man. He likes to yell after his dunks and he also didn't back down from this fight in the SEC tournament last year, which is cool. Mickey can also guard multiple positions on the floor. Stevens says he is an extremely hard worker and I think he's an excellent pick for the Celtics and will fit right into their style of play.



Point Guard, Marcus Thornton (6-2, 177, William & Mary, 83rd pick)
Thornton is a guy who comes from a team with some excellent jerseys. He is one of those players you hate to play against because his energy is relentless, his game is unorthodox, and his hair is everywhere. He averaged 20 PPG and 3 APG for the Tribe and has a sort of Leandro Barbosa craziness to him.

Overall I am very excited for these incoming players. There are no immediate superstars like an Okafor has the potential to be, but they are hard-working good guys who all bring something different to the table. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for the guard position with 5 true point guards, four of which are 6-2 or shorter. This team has a great deal of players that no one has ever heard of, but I think that is just the way Brad Stevens likes it for now - and it seems to be working for him.

This team, if nothing else, makes for an extremely intriguing Summer League team and I plan to watch every game they play in the next few weeks starting 

Marcus Smart 
James Young 
Chris Babb 
Terry Rozier 
R.J. Hunter 
Jordan Mickey 
Marcus Thornton 
Jonathan Holmes 
Corey Walden 
Malcolm Miller 
Eric Buckner
Colton Iverson

“When (the rookies) see how hard Marcus and James and Babb go at summer league practice starting next week, it’s going to be real,” Stevens said. “That’s a positive thing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment