Thursday, June 11, 2015

Dellavedova Just Doing His Job

If your job was on the line would you give it all you had to keep it? If you said yes then you cannot hate Matthew Dellavedova. I love how hard the guy plays, every time he is on the court he is determined to play with the most energy each and every possession. Don't get me wrong, Dellavedova frustrates me just as much as the next guy, whether it be the way he shoots the ball or his punchable face, but you have to respect the guy. The Australia native made it, he is in the NBA when everyone told him he was not quick enough or athletic enough or skilled enough, but he has more heart than any player in this series.



Delly has always played with a chip on his shoulder. I remember watching him at St. Mary's and loved him. I am a huge college basketball fan and, to me, "Delly" epitomizes college basketball. He was a four year player, who got better each and every year and gave everything he had to his teammates, coaches, and university. He had an unappreciated, but brilliant, career at St. Mary's.

I remember watching him play against Memphis in the 2013 NCAA Tournament. Delly played his heart out. It was not his night as he struggled throughout, but the kid never quit. I always respect players who give it their all, even when the game is over. I remember being sad that I would probably never get to see him play again because, like everyone else, I didn't think he would play in the NBA. Well I am really glad that my boy Delly has proved me wrong.


The St. Mary's product was a below average, back up point guard this entire season. At one point the Cavs considered cutting him... then the playoffs started. Delly really took off against the Bulls and the hate train started and has only gotten bigger due to the scissor kick, injury of Kyle Korver, and Al Horford being ejected. As I have mentioned before, the only play I thought was dirty was the scissor kick, which is something I would expect out of a middle schooler.  The NBA Finals has really been his coming out party as he has pissed off America by shadowing Steph Curry's every move.

The hatred is just really confusing to me, as Dellavedova plays exactly how you are supposed to play each and every time you are on the court. Maybe it is a jealousy thing as to why people hate him. He does have some annoying tendencies, but the guy has gotten every last bit of his basketball ability out of his body. By competing to the best of his abilities, Dellavedova has locked up a job in the league, doing what he loves for at least two more years due to his performance in this year's playoffs. Unlike someone I know, I will be rooting for the guy everyone hates (actually not LeBron) and the Cleveland Cavaliers to win the NBA Finals.

No comments:

Post a Comment