Tuesday, July 14, 2015

My Ten Favorite Saturday 'Noles

Seminole sports have been an enormous part in my life and I wouldn't change that for the world. My passion in sports is basketball, but nothing compares to Saturdays in the Fall at Doak Campbell Stadium. The first season I remember is Chris Rix's first year (2001-2002), I know I came in at the wrong time. My fan-hood began in the "Lost Decade", but remembering those years is what made the 2013 championship so special. Today, I will introduce you to my ten favorite players that I've had the privilege to watch (2001-present).

10. Graham Gano, Kicker/Punter (2005-2008)



I have seen many great kickers come through FSU and while Roberto Aguayo might be the most talented kicker that I have seen wear garnet and gold, Graham Gano will always be my favorite Seminole kicker. Well, he was also our punter, and during his career he punted a lot due a lack of quarterback play. He was the biggest weapon we had on offense and defense, which was best on display in his final collegiate game against Wisconsin in the Champ Sports Bowl. Gano landed four punts inside the 20 yard line, including three within the three yard line and ended up winning the MVP. Take that in, a kicker/punter won MVP of a bowl game and that is why Graham will always be one of my favorite Noles.

9. Kendyll Pope, Linebacker (2000-2004)


Kendyll Pope could flat out hit and that is what he did in his four years at Florida State. My favorite part of Pope's game was his neck roll, I was new to the sport of football and seeing him light people up with a neck roll was just awesome. My eight-year-old self got so crazy in the stands watching Pope destroy opponents for four years. As a young Catholic boy myself, I also really liked his last name, it just gave me another reason to like him. Anyways, Kendyll Pope is one of the most under-appreciated Seminoles that I can remember.

8. Preston Parker, Wide Receiver/Our entire offense (2006-2009)


Excitement is what Preston Parker brought to the field every time he touched the ball. He was the first player that I remember who could take it to the house each time he touched the ball. Parker was Jimbo's first great toy at Florida State and he tried to get Parker the ball any way he could, even having him line up at running back for a few games. Sadly, Parker did not finish his career at Florida State as off field issues ended his career prematurely. Sleeping in McDonald's drive thru aside, I will always remember Parker as a player with a ton of swag and the ability to change the game each time he touched the ball.

7. Chris Thompson, Running Back (2009-2013)


Everyone has a special place in their heart for the little guy, and you have no choice but to love the little guy that always bounces back. Chris Thompson is that and then some. Thompson came back from a broken back and after he recovered, was playing out of this world before a torn ACL ended his senior year and career at Florida State too early. Words cannot describe how awesome it was to see Chris Thompson score his first touchdown after returning from the broken back, Doak went nuts because Nole Nation truly loved Chris Thompson. I was at this game and my friend and I went absolutely crazy, it is a moment I will never forget. From that point on, I felt as if Thompson could score anytime he touched the ball. What I loved about him the most was that everyone on the team always talked about what a great person he was and that his attitude never faltered through the injuries he faced. For this reason he will remain in the hearts of Seminoles for years to come.

6. Greg Jones, Running Back (2000-2004)


This guy invented the truck stick and was the first stud that I had ever seen at FSU. This sounds weird because I remember Anquan Boldin but Greg Jones was different, he put an entire offense on his back each and every Saturday. I remember watching him dominate Miami back in 2002 when they were number 1 in the country only to watch Xavier Beitia miss a kick wide left - sorry to bring it up. I was devastated after this game and I'm not going to disclose whether I cried or not, but what I really took away was that Greg Jones was special. I believe he would've had an amazing NFL career had he not torn his ACL at Wake Forest in 2002. While he did come back for a solid senior season, he was not the same player. That being said, I will always remember Greg Jones and he is still the best running back I have ever seen at FSU.

5. Rashad Greene, Wide Receiver (2011-2015)


This guy is truly a Seminole legend on and off the field, and we will miss him desperately next year. He was always there to make the big catch and throughout his career, he was a consistent target. We may never see a player like Rashad come through Florida State again and that is what makes me appreciate him even more. The loudest Doak has ever been was when Rashad Greene scored against Oklahoma on a third and 28 play. I lost it, everyone around me lost it, I became best friends with the guy three rows up and to the right, one of those friendships you just had to be there for. This was the first of many clutch catches for number 80, as that night was the beginning of greatness. There will never be another RG80, he was a true legend and is an excellent example of how to take care of your work off the field so you could do great things on it.
You can also checkout JK's list of Greene's best plays here.

4. Greg Reid, Cornerback (2009-2012)


Nobody got Doak rocking quite like Greg Reid. "G5," was entertainment at its finest. He was the greatest punt returner I have seen since watching Florida State and his greatest skills were his heart and his fearlessness. When he would run up and catch a punt in traffic, everyone in Doak held their breath and questioned his decision-making, but after he left we began to appreciate just how important that fearlessness truly was. G5 was probably Jimbo's favorite player that he has coached at FSU and who can blame him? Reid loved football more than anything and lived to make the big play - a match made in heaven for a football-obsessed Jimbo. His hit on Lattimore in the Chik-fil-a Bowl was one of the best hits in Seminole history. Nothing compares to throwing up the "5" in Doak and waiting for Reid to return a punt.

3. Buster Davis, Linebacker (2002-2007)


5'11 and 240 pounds of pure heart and hustle is what Buster Davis brought to Doak on Saturdays. The defenses he played on were really, really bad, but that did not stop Buster from giving everything in the tank. He packed a serious punch and would chase guys down from 40 yards if he had to. He played like a man possessed and I feel like Seminole fans don't appreciate enough what he did for this team. I loved him because he never gave up no matter what the score was and wore the Garnet and Gold the right way.

2. Telvin Smith, Linebacker (2010-2014)


My love for Telvin Smith began his freshman year, as my friend and I would watch the kickoff unit, which we dubbed the "hype squad," get ridiculously pumped for the kickoff. But there was this one guy who was just a little more excited than anyone, like he would lose his head every time he came out. It was number 22 and his name was Telvin Smith, it was a sign of things to come from the Lowndes High School product. Jimbo has said multiple times that Telvin Smith played like "his hair was on fire." Telvin loved football, he fed off trash talk and the energy from the fans. He was the leader, heart, and soul of that national championship defense, and I believe that is what we missed this year the most (other than a decent pass rush). This past team needed a player like Smith, but the thing is that leaders like Telvin Smith only come around once and a while. He sure loves to play football and he's getting a chance to do that in Jacksonville.

1. Kenny Shaw, Wide Receiver (2010-2014)


Mr. 3Hunna brought a swagger, albeit an unique one, to FSU that may not be matched during my lifetime, ever. I have never heard a Nole fan complain about Kenny Shaw or call him overrated, instead they all said he was under appreciated. Whenever we needed a tough first down, there was Kenny across the middle getting drilled and holding on. We learned what he was capable early on in his career against Oklahoma when he literally got knocked out. I was at this game on the opposite of the field. I freaked out and proceeded to turn and high five everyone before I heard a hush fall over the crowd. All of a suddden football seemed small in the moment and I was just worried about Mr. 3Hunna. Shaw would be okay and the crazy thing is, he played the next week at Clemson. The Dr. Phillips product came up with many clutch catches during his career as he was fearless over the middle of the field. That garnered him a special place in the hearts of Seminoles' everywhere. His combination of on and off the field swag will never be matched by any Nole in my lifetime.

I hope you enjoyed my list of my favorite players, if you have any comments feel free to believe them below. Thanks and Go Noles!

Twitter: @RenegadeSports_
Facebook: Renegade Sports

No comments:

Post a Comment